30 January 2010

Zoom: Sunflowers

I have been sewing all my life and I have always enjoyed fabric. I marvel at the feel of a piece of cloth, the colours and patterns and how it drapes and shapes.

I enjoy making my own fabrics, combining different techniques such as dyeing, printing, stencilling, painting - whatever it takes to get the look and feel that I am after. I usually work with strong and warm colours as they remind me of the warmth of spring and summer.

A1
A3

A5

The inspiration for these three pieces was a bunch of sunflowers received from a friend. I wanted to capture the feel of a field of sunflowers as well as having a close-up look at the detail of this cheerful flower.

It is inspiring to work with other textile artists. Zoom, our first group challenge shows how we work in very different ways yet learn and inspire each other.

Merete
These pieces have been chosen to hang as part of the EquilARTeral exhibition at Slough Museum from the 3rd of February, 2010 for one month.

1 comment:

Cath said...

These pieces look stunning Ladies, good luck with the exhibition.